There’s a new hummus in town.. caramelized onion hummus!
I am not even joking when I say that I could eat caramelized onions by the forkful (and I have). They are a labor of love since it does really take about 15 minutes on low heat to truly caramelize onions but it is so worth it.
One of my favorite things to add caramelized onions too is burgers! It adds such amazing sweetness. If you’re not a fan of raw onions, you must absolutely try them caramelized. It really is a game changer.
You will need:
Caramelized Onion Hummus
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or water (add more as needed)
- 2 large yellow onions
- 1 garlic clove
- sea salt to taste
- Slice onions. Heat some oil in a pan on low heat and caramelize onions for 10-15 minutes.
- Place chickpeas, garlic, tahini, olive oil and water in a food processor. Blend until smooth, adding more water 1 tablespoon at a time as needed.
- Add 1/2 of the caramelized onions and pulse until incorporated. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Serve with the rest of the caramelized onions. Enjoy!