I think chickpeas have got to be my favorite pulse ever. You can add them to salads, stew, chili, enchiladas.. You can roast them and eat them as a crunchy snacks. There’s HUMMUS aka my crack! I would be eating hummus everyday if it weren’t for the fact that I go through it so quickly. I made a big batch yesterday and boom, I woke up with about 3-4 tablespoons left in the bowl (side note: my famjam loves hummus too, I think it’s in our genes LOL).
Just when I thought I have made everything I possibly could with chickpeas, pâté came to mind one day in the kitchen with my mom. We kind of had a eureka moment and proceeded to whiz it up some magic in the food processor. Sandwich making quickly followed!
I took inspiration from the classic BLT to create this CLT sandwich: chickpea pâté, lettuce and tomatoes. This sandwich is high in protein, high in fiber and completely plant-based! I love eating vegetarian meals that are fun and fresh and this CLT definitely falls under that category. The chickpea pâté is so smooth and versatile. Use it in a sandwich, wrap, burrito, rice paper roll, on crackers etc.. The world is your oyster!
Chickpea Pâté (makes 4-6 servings)
- 2 cups chickpeas (canned or cooked)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 cup diced veggies; I used carrots and celery
- 3-4 tsp avocado oil mayo (vegan option: use vegan mayo)
- pink Himalayan salt to taste
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- sumac for sprinkling (optional)
- In a food processor or high speed blender, combine the chickpeas and veggies. Pulse a few times until everything is broken down into pieces.
- Add the tahini, avocado oil mayo, pink Himalayan sea salt and cayenne. Blend until incorporated. I like to blend until the mixture is smooth but with a little crunch.
- Serve CLT-style with lettuce and tomato in your favorite bread, open-faced on toast, in a burrito, or however else you’d like. Enjoy!