It’s time for an egg-less breakfast frittata!
Chickpea flour is equally as delicious and a great substitute for a lot of plant-based dishes. In Sicily, you can find chickpea fritters called panelle as street food -I’m half Sicilian! Likewise, you can also find chickpea pancakes in the south of France called socca. A lot of Indian cuisine involves chickpea flour as well and with good reason, it makes for delicious vegetarian-friendly meals!
I decided to load this chickpea frittata with a trio of sautéed zucchini, mushrooms and leeks – 3 of my favorite items to sauté. You can cut a slice of this frittata and make a sandwich, wrap or simply eat it as is. My favorite sides are fresh guacamole and beet sauerkraut!
This chickpea veggie frittata is LOADED with goods! Mushrooms, zucchini and leeks are among my favorite items to sauté as a breakfast hash, side dish or to be mixed into a frittata like this!
Chickpea Veggie Frittata (makes 6-8 servings)
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- salt to taste (I used 1 1/2 tsp pink salt)
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a cast-iron skillet, sauté zucchini, mushrooms and leeks. Set aside in a bowl.
- In a bowl, whisk together chickpea flour, turmeric, water, baking powder and salt.
- Pour chickpea frittata batter into cast-iron pan and add the sautéed veggies back in. Mix gently to spread out the sautéed veggies.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy! Can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.