I love chocolate peanut butter cups, but there’s a new cup in town: coconut butter cups!
Coconut butter is so smooth and luscious. It’s the perfect addition in cups since it adds such nice coconut-y creaminess. Plus, it is so incredibly easy to make. Coconut butter is basically just coconut that you blend in a high-speed blender until smooth – I also add coconut oil to make it smoother. It’s that easy, you only need two ingredients!
Now that you know how easy these coconut butter cups are to make, you need them in your life! Anytime I make a dessert, I like to take half of it and freeze it for later. Basically, I freeze half a batch so I have it on hand for dessert emergencies. You know those nights when you desperately need dessert but you have no time or energy to make something? That’s a dessert emergency and I naturally gravitate towards chocolate so that’s why a lot of my desserts centre around chocolate. I currently have two more of these coconut butter cups in the freezer and you best believe I’m eating one tonight.
Something to note, coconut butter hardens very quickly and you definitely need to make these cups thaw out a lot if you store them in the freezer. You should store a couple in the fridge if you want to enjoy them during the week without having to wait for thawing.
These coconut butter cups are delicious as is but I also love sprinkling them with chia seeds – especially chocolate chia seeds. You can never have too much chocolate right? I don’t think so at least.
You can also “flavour” your coconut butter to spice things up. Of course vanilla extract is a great base to start but peppermint extract, butter extract and even orange extract would be perfect!
Coconut Butter Cups (makes 6 big cups or 12 mini cups)
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate
- 1/2 cup coconut butter (recipe below)
- Melt chocolate using the double-boiler method.
- Line a muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Scoop melted chocolate into each muffin liner and freeze for a few minutes. Scoop in coconut butter and freeze again. Finally, top with more chocolate and freeze to set for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
NOTE: Make sure to thaw out coconut butter cups before enjoying.
- 5 cups shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Combine shredded coconut and coconut oil in a high-speed blender and blend for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Store in an air-tight jar. Enjoy!