It’s HOT outside and ice cream season is in full swing. Say hello to these easy to make cookie dough ice cream sandwiches. Once you make these, you’ll be (ice) screaming for more!
Seriously, once you make homemade ice cream sandwiches, you won’t stop! To be completely honest, some of the store-bought varieties don’t even taste like real cookies or chocolate because they’re just overpowered with sugar. Obviously, ice cream is basically sugar upon sugar but making them homemade brings them up a notch. You can truly taste the quality in the “sandwich” part since you decide the ingredients you will be using.
ALSO, what’s up with most ice cream and cheeses having modified milk ingredients in the ingredient list. In my opinion, ice cream should be made of milk, sugar, cream and maybe eggs (if it’s homemade ice cream). There shouldn’t be any gums, fillers, syrups and modified milk ingredients. If I’m having dairy ice cream, I want 100% real milk. That’s why I’m super picky when buying ice cream. I want real ingredients!
Side note: I am just as picky when buying cheese. I look for milk, salt, bacterial culture and sometimes rennet. There shouldn’t be a list of 15-20 ingredients on a slab of cheese. If so, it’s just a chemical block of what I call plastic cheese.
For these ice cream sandwiches, I used a combination of vanilla (dairy) and cashew (dairy-free) ice cream (note: I am not dairy-free). I was planning on making them solely with cashew milk ice cream but then ran out (dairy-free ice cream containers are tiny tbh). Nonetheless, feel free to use whatever ice cream you love in these cookie dough ice cream sandwiches. If you’re adding two different ice cream flavours like I did, just make sure to freeze the first layer of ice cream for at least 1 hour before adding the second layer.
No dessert is complete without me taking a tower shot. I love playing with food (see photo below). The added challenge of working with ice cream is that I needed to shot this recipe quickly. I may or may not have eaten an ice cream sandwich while photographing. I mean, what was I going to do? Let it melt and go to waste? No way!
Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches (makes 10-12)
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 8 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 4 tbsp plain yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream or ice cream of choice (I used half vanilla & half cashew ice cream)
- Make cookie dough: Combine almond flour, coconut sugar, sea salt, coconut oil, plain yogurt and vanilla. Separate cookie dough into two parts – for the top and bottom of the ice cream sandwiches.
- Press half of the cookie dough into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Top with vanilla ice cream and freeze for at least 3 hours.
- Top with remaining cookie dough and press to cover all the ice cream. Freeze overnight. Enjoy!