Time to add a new dessert to the mix: scones!
I’ve recently been loving to make scones because you can add any mixings you want. For those new to scones, they are basically single-serve cake slices – and who doesn’t like cake? They can be made plain or with fruits, herbs, sun-dried tomatoes and so much more. They are often served with jams, preserves or cream.
Here I have my base recipe that I follow when I make scones and over each picture you’ll find the mixing amounts for each variation I’ve made.
Of course you can add any mixings you like! Make them sweet OR savoury. There’s a scone flavour for every taste!
These chocolate chips scones have 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and 2 tsp vanilla extract added to the base recipe.
These apple cinnamon scones have 1 diced apple and 1 tsp ground cinnamon added to the base recipe.
These blueberry pistachio scones have 1/4 cup dried blueberries (you can also use fresh blueberries), 1/4 cup chopped pistachios and the zest of 1 lemon added to the base recipe.
Scones (makes 8-10)
- 2 cups of unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2-3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/4-1/2 cup mixings
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- egg wash (to brush scones before baking)
- course sugar (for topping, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees,
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the 4 tbsp of butter and work it in the flour with your fingers until a sandy texture is achieved.
- Add the honey and milk and mix with a spoon until it has formed a rough dough. Then, work the dough with your hands until it has come together.
- Add mixings of choice.
- Place the dough on a floured cutting board and with a rolling pin, roll it out into a circle.
- Cut the scones into triangles like you would a pizza.
- Place the scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush each scone with egg wash and sprinkle with course sugar (optional).
- Bake at 350F degrees for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes, flip the scones and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!