This easy fattoush salad will become a go-to in your home!
It’s not secret that I LOVE salad. All salads. I love my greens but don’t think I’m just eating dry lettuce or kale chips. I like packing all the flavour into salads and making them fun. After all, food is meant to be fun in my opinion.
Sure, food is a basic physiological need on Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, but it’s so much more than that. To me, food is enjoyment, love, pleasure and more. And yes a salad can be enjoyment when done right.
This fattoush salad has all the textures. Between the fresh romaine lettuce, the crunchy cherry tomatoes and cucumbers and the crispy pita bread, it’s a party in your mouth. This salad is a great side dish to include in any picnic, BBQ or get together. PLUS, it also travels well in a Mason jar for work, school, etc. Last week, I asked on Instagram what kind of recipes you would like to see more of and the majority said meals that can be brought to school and work, particularly salads. I am totally on board with that since I love salads so much! Whether you want to simply bring something healthy to work, are looking to get more greens in your lifestyle or need some flavourful side dish ideas, everyone can benefit from fun salad recipes. Especially with summer around the corner, salad is such a refreshing option either as a meal itself or a big side dish to cool off.
I don’t know about you but during the summer, I often don’t want to spend too much time making dinner because I want to head out for a walk or to play tennis – a summer favorite in my family. Dinners are quick, fresh and filled with colourful produce (soon to come from my garden).
When I made this fattoush salad again, I topped it with some sliced steak. It is optional but feel free to add your favorite protein source. Grilled chicken, fish or legumes would pair great with this salad.
Below you will also find a SUPER simple sumac dressing for this fattoush. Long gone are the days of store-bought dressing. You can double or triple this dressing recipe and store it in the fridge in an air-tight glass jar so you can use it all week. It’s seriously one of my favorite dressings ever!
This fattoush salad is ready in no time with minimal ingredients. You will need:
extra virgin olive oil
Fattoush Salad (serves 3-4)
- 3/4 cup cucumbers, sliced and quartered
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced (or 3/4 chopped tomatoes of choice)
- 6 cups romaine lettuce
- 2 pitas
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (or vinegar)
- 2-3 tbsp sumac
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- In a large bowl, combine chopped romaine lettuce, sliced cherry tomatoes and sliced and quartered cucumbers.
- Toast pita: Place 2 pita breads on broil at 400F degrees until crunchy, flip halfway – about 3-4 minutes. Once toasted, cut into pieces of break by hand.
- Make dressing: In a jar, combine oil, lemon juice, sumac and minced garlic. Seal jar and shake until blended. Alternatively, you make also make the dressing in a blender.
- Assemble: Dress the salad with the dressing and top with crunchy pita bread. Enjoy!
- Note: MASON JAR OPTION (makes 4 small jars): Add sliced tomatoes and cucumbers at the bottom of the jars and pour dressing into each jar. Fill with romaine lettuce and top with crunchy pita at the top. Seal jars and store in the fridge until ready to eat (up to 5 days).