If you know me by now, you know that I love ALL food, but I must say that Mexican food holds a special place in my heart. I love tacos, burritos, quesadillas, burrito bowls, nachos… you get the point! I also really enjoy classic Mexican flavours such as cumin, chipotle and smoked paprika.
Today we’re making taquitos starring black bean Miscela. Miscela is a mixture of fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices and it’s a great product to add flavour to any recipe like this one. Fun fact: the word Miscela stands for mixture in Italian!
These are a cute vegetarian appetizer for the holidays. You can get more creative and add more mixings to the rice mixture like corn, jalapeños, diced onions, and anything else you enjoy!
These taquitos are also gluten-free for those with intolerances. We’re using rice paper wrappers which are a great naturally gluten-free option. Rice paper wrappers are typically used for spring rolls (which I love) but they can be used many ways like with these taquitos!
Gluten-Free Mexican Taquitos (makes 6 )
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 5 tbsp black bean Miscela
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 6 rice paper wrappers
- Cook brown rice as directed on package.
- In a bowl, add rice, corn Miscela and cumin. Mix.
- Prepare a shallow bowl of warm water and a wet kitchen towel.
- To assemble: Dip rice paper wrapper in the warm water until malleable. Fill the rice paper wrapper with the black bean mixture and wrap – folding the top and bottom edges first and then rolling tightly to close the wrapper. Repeat process until all rice paper wrappers are used.
- Place taquitos in a baking pan greased with oil. Brush taquitos with oil and broil at 370F degrees for 7-10 minutes per side (keep an eye on them).
- Once ready, serve with salsa immediately. If storing in the fridge, place them on broil for a few minutes before re-serving so they crisp up again. Keeps in the fridge up to 3-4 days.
Thank you Miscela for sponsoring this post! I feel so blessed to work with brands I love and that support me. All opinions are always my own.