I’m pretty sure tomato sauce or pesto runs through my veins. I love pesto – I could drizzle it or mix it in everything! From pasta to pizza to sandwiches to breakfast tartines, the world is your oyster with the pesto possibilities.
This kale pesto has quickly become one of my favorites. My summer garden is in full swing so I love using the fresh kale and basil here. Gardening has brought me even closer to food – I love stepping outside to pick what I need for a recipe. It’s like a farmer’s market in my backyard. Now if only I could garden all year here in Montreal…
I’d also love to mention that my brothers had kale. Why am I saying this? They were sold on this pesto! Although I didn’t tell them it was kale pesto (sneaky sister I know), they ate it thinking it was regular pesto. This goes to show that you can incorporate healthy greens like kale, while keeping them incognito for picky eaters.
Time for a few spins in the food processor to create this flavourful kale pesto!
If you’d like to top this kale pesto on pizza as I did here, I’ve got an easy 30 minute pizza crust recipe here.
- 2 cups kale, de-steamed
- 8 large basil leaves
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup parmigiano regiano (omit if you’d like to keep the pesto vegan. If so, add salt to taste)
1. Crack walnuts and pulse in the food processor a few times to break them down. Set aside in a bowl.
2. In the food processor, add the kale, basil, extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Blend until you have a homogenous mixture.
3. Add the parmigiano regiano cheese and the walnuts. Blend until smooth. It’s ready to use – enjoy!
How will you use this kale pesto? Mixted into pasta? On zoodles? Om pizza? I’d love to see! You can tag me on Instagram @TheNutritiousPrincess.