I LOVE ASIAN FOOD!
Yes, that statement deserved to be in all caps. Between pho, ramen, sushi, spring rolls, noodle stir frys, pad thai, satays, and so on, I am quite the asian food enthusiast.
One of my favourites is definitely pad thai! Noodles, bean sprouts, protein and a delicious sauce and BOOM, lunch or dinner is serve! Once you make this simple sauce, the rest of the recipe is a breeze and just a matter of getting everything cooked before assembling it all together.
I love trying new Asian restaurants but you really need to be careful with those. Often times, Asian food is loaded with sugar and MSG. MSG, which stands for Monosodium glutamate is something added to food to enhance flavour and it can have various negative effects on your health. I love reading articles by Doctor Mercola and I highly recommend you read his take on MSG (here).
Today I’m collaborating with my friend Cynthia, who is a fellow Canadian right here in Montreal! She’s a nutritionist and food blogger at Cuisine Dopamine and her photos are MOUTH-WATERING! They’re all so fresh and so clean with the right amount of indulgence. We both love Asian food so we though an asian collaboration was in order!
Cynthia made an Asian tofu bowl with a peanut and sesame sauce. Look at that sauce guys! I could swim in it. So creamy and flavourful! Go check out her recipe and her amazing blog!
These two lunch or dinner ideas are both vegetarian-friendly! You can also make the pad time vegan by substituting the prawns for tempeh or tofu. My garlic ginger tempeh would be a great addition to make the pad thai completely plant-based.
Time to make pad thai!
Pad Thai (serves 2)
- 1 cup brown rice noodles
- 2 cups bean sprouts (raw or sautéed)
- 4 oz shrimp per person (about 5-6 jumbo shrimp/person)
- pad thai sauce
- toppings: chopped peanuts, cilantro, sriracha
Pad Thai sauce
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (nut-free option: sunflower butter)
- 2 tbsp Bragg’ natural soy sauce (soy-free option: coconut aminos)
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-2 tsp minced garlic
- juice of 1 lime
- Prepare pad thai sauce: Combine peanut butter, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, water, minced garlic and lime juice. Whisk to combine.
- Cook noodles: Cook the noodles in boiling water according to the directions on the package. Once cooked, drain and place them in a bowl of cold water – this stops them from cooking further and getting mushy.
- Cook shrimp: In a cast-iron skillet, cook shrimp until opaque, about 4-5 minutes.
- Assemble: Coat noodles in pad thai sauce and add bean sprouts and shrimp. Top with chopped peanuts and cilantro. Enjoy!