Nothing satisfies me more on a cold winters’ night than a warm soup (and probably a chocolate chip cookie afterwards). One-pot meals are quick and easy lunch and dinner recipes. This kale cannellini soup is exactly that and it packs lots of nutrient-rich kale as well as protein-packed cannellini beans.
This one-pot soup could be transfered to a thermos for work/school or frozen to be enjoyed at a later date. All you need is a little prep time and 30 minutes and you’ll be transported to Italy with this warm soup (ok maybe not Italy… Who wants to plan a trip with me now?).
Italian Kale Cannellini Soup (serves 4)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes (you may also use tomato sauce but I love having chunks of tomatoes in the soup)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Pink salt + pepper to taste
- A pinch of chili flakes
- 3 cups water
- 1 can cannellini beans (19oz)
- 4 cups kale, chopped
1. In a large pot over medium heat, heat up 3 tablespoons of olive oil and add garlic, onion, oregano, rosemary, turmeric, chili flakes, salt, pepper and the can of diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
2. Once boiling, add the water, beans and kale and bring to a simmer for 20-30 minutes. The soup is ready when the kale is tender to your liking.
Try out this one-pot soup and feel free to substitute you favorite bean in place of the cannellini beans if you’d like. Chickpeas would be great too!