We have officially reached the “hibernate and curl up with a cozy bowl of soup” time of the year. This kale and cannellini bean soup has been a family-favorite for a long time and I get so excited to make it when the weather is chilly.
Nothing satisfies me more on a cold autumn or winters’ night than a warm soup (and probably a chocolatey dessert afterwards). One-pot meals are quick and easy lunch and dinner recipes for those busy days. This kale and cannellini bean soup is exactly that and it packs lots of nutrient-rich kale as well as protein-packed cannellini beans.
This one-pot soup could be transfered to a thermos for work/school or frozen to be enjoyed at a later date. All you need is a little prep time and 30 minutes and you’ll be transported to Italy with this warm soup (ok maybe not Italy… Who wants to plan a trip with me now?).
Italian Kale Cannellini Soup (serves 4)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Pink salt + pepper to taste
- A pinch of chili flakes
- 3 cups water
- 1 can cannellini beans (19oz)
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- cheese and chili flakes for serving
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat some oil and add garlic, onion, oregano, rosemary, turmeric, chili flakes, salt, pepper and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the water, beans and kale and bring to a simmer for 20-30 minutes. The soup is ready when the kale is tender to your liking. Enjoy!