As the weather warms up, I’m all about unlimited summer salads. They’re fresh, colourful and require no oven on a scorching summer’s day!
This salad is loaded with hearty grains, nutrient-dense greens and protein-packed lentils. Plus, drizzled with a lemon pepper dressing, it’s a citrus tangy dream.
I’m so excited to get my backyard garden up and running. Gardening is one of the things I look forward to most during the summer, especially after waiting what feels like years in Canada’s arctic weather. Between boots, thermal leggings and endless layers, I’ve had enough. I love Canada but our winters are far too long for me. I basically turn into a hibernating bear once November hits. So I’m thrilled about the summer sunshine thats on it’s the way, shorts, Birkenstock weather and picking fresh produce from my backyard. Arugula is a green I always plant. Whether you’re making a salad like this, topping it on pizza or adding it to a sandwich, it’s got a great peppery flavour to throw in anywhere.
This lentil, millet and arugula salad is whipped up in minutes. You will need:
& lemon pepper dressing
Lentil, Millet and Arugula Salad
- 2 cups lentils of choice (I’m using brown lentils)
- 2 cups millet (you can also use quinoa, rice or couscous)
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3-4 cups arugula
- zest of 1 lemon
Lemon Pepper Dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 2 lemons
- pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Make dressing: In a jar, combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Seal jar and shake.
- Cook lentils and millet according to directions on the package.
- In a bowl, combine cooked lentils, cooked millet, diced celery, arugula and lemon zest. Top with lemon pepper dressing, toss and serve. Enjoy!