Pesto pasta is one of my favorite dishes, ever. Since I’m Italian, you bet pasta Sundays are a ritual in my house! Nothing beats classic tomato sauce but pesto holds a very special place in my heart. I’ve been making my kale pesto nonstop but today I have a new pesto recipe to add to the mix!
I never buy pesto at the store since I much prefer to make it myself, especially in the summer when I can pick the basil fresh from my garden. I am really looking forward to gardening again this summer. It’s going to be the third year gardening and this year I’m expanding it big time because I want space for more kale, peas, tomatoes and greens, and also want space for new things like sweet potatoes, which I’ve been reading up on. I’m also SUPER excited because I’m planning to plant a fig tree in my backyard and I’m pretty sure it will become my favorite item to tend to. Figs are my favorite summer fruit and I particularly love adding them to pizza, like with my fig, prosciutto and ricotta pizza.
You can mix this microgreen pesto into your favorite pasta, spread it on pizza, add it to vegetables and so much more like lasagna! I used this pesto to make the raw zucchini lasagna below. I layered zucchini strips, microgreen pesto and tomatoes. I topped this raw lasagna with crushed cashews.
I topped my microgreen pesto pasta below with freshly grated part because this Italian girl LOVES parmigiana regiano! Although I do drink cashew milk and other dairy-free varieties, instead of cow’s milk, I do consume high quality yogurt and cheese made of dairy. In the word of chef Massimo Bottura, parmigiana is the ultimate umami! I could’t agree more!!
Nonetheless, if you’re completely dairy-free/vegan, use whatever cheese alternative YOU enjoy (nutritional yeast, cashew cheese, etc).
- 1 cup microgreens of choice
- 2 cups basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese (vegan option: option cheese or use nutritional yeast)
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Pulse almonds in a blender until an almond flour consistency is reached. Set aside.
- In a blender, add the micro greens, basil, garlic, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, kale and half of the olive oil. Blend.
- Add the pulsed almonds and remaining olive oil. Blend until smooth. Enjoy immediately or store in an air-tight glass container for up to 5 days.