I love lentils but I had never tried them in a fun way, until I made dal. I loved it so much that I made it two weeks in a row (given that a jar didn’t last long since it’s just so good). Lentils (and all the other pulses like beans, peas and chickpeas) are a very nutritious meat substitute to pack in protein, iron, zinc and other vitamins and minerals. Per 1/4 cup of red lentils, you attain a solid 13 grams of protein! (Who said vegan dishes don’t give you enough protein!?!). This dish is perfect for a quick weeknight meal or anytime you want a hearty vegan stew. I’ve originally seen dal made just with lentils but I decided to add potatoes, which made it even heartier. Enough talk, let’s get to the dal-icious recipe (see what I did there)?
Dal-icious Potato and Lentil Dal
- grapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds or grainy mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Pour a few tablespoons of grapeseed oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook down the diced onion until translucent. Add in the minced ginger and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add in the potatoes and water. Cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Add in the red lentils, water and pink himalayan sea salt. Cook until the lentils begin to break down, about 30-40 minutes.
- Once the lentils have broken down and the potatoes have softened, add the spices and mix well to combine.
- Serve warm with multigrain crackers. It would be amazing paired with naan bread. I topped mine with some sliced avocado because everything is better with avocado. *insert sassy girl emoji here*
Try my vegan potato and lentil dal and let me know what you think! Share it with your vegan and vegetarian-loving friends!