This parmesan kale salad will change your life!
For me, salad is a word that is synonymous with summer (so is ice cream btw). I eat it twice as much in the summertime because it’s fresh, versatile and requires no major cooking on a hot day.
This parmesan kale salad is on another level. If you’re one of those people or know someone who eats kale just because it’s “good for you” but doesn’t actually like it, this salad is for you! Massaging the kale really diminishes the bitter taste that many people don’t like. Then when you add fresh lemon juice and parmesan, it’s not your basic kale anymore. Parmesan adds rich creaminess, saltiness and ultimately, umami to this salad – and really any dish you add it to. There’s nothing a little parmesan can’t fix, right?
This salad is fresh, summery and calls for a handful of ingredients. You will need:
extra virgin olive oil
croutons (recipe below)
Parmesan Kale Salad (makes 3-4 servings)
- 6 cups kale
- 1/8 cup + 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
For the garlic croutons:
- 2 cups bread cubes
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder (or desired herb/spice)
- Make croutons: Chop your favorite baguette or loaf of bread into cubes. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder. Broil at 400F degrees for 3-5 minutes (keep an eye on them).
- Massage kale: Wash and cut kale to desired size. Place in a large bowl and massage with 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil until tender – about 3-5 minutes.
- In a cup, combine remaining extra virgin olive oil with lemon juice. Whisk and pour over the kale along with the grated parmesan cheese. Foxx to combine.
- Top with croutons (optional) and enjoy!