The temperature has been dropping the past two days and it’s officially chilly enough to want to curl in a ball with a bowl of comfort food. My comfort food of choice? Mac and cheese! This fall spin on mac and cheese incorporates, you guessed it… PUMPKIN!
This pumpkin mac and cheese is creamy, cheesy and a beautiful orange hue thanks to the season’s hottest item, pumpkin! However, you don’t really taste the pumpkin all that much so you can sneak some extra veggies in without picky eaters knowing. My younger brother loved this mac and cheese and he isn’t a pumpkin fan at all.
After the heat wave we had here in Montreal, I am so happy for the colder weather we’re getting! Summer will always be my favorite season weather-wise but I’m really starting to embrace the change of seasons. I used to dread fall and winter – and if i’m being honest, I am dreading the cold – but I’m truly looking forward to the activities that the given colder seasons bring. My favourites include apple picking, walks to admire the pretty leaves changing colour, making snowmen, skating, and for the remainder of the cold months, being a hermit indoors under a cover with a large hot chocolate. Off the record, staying cozy under a blanket with a hot beverage might just be my favorite activity of them all.. Throw in cute Christmas movies and you won’t see me for hours (or days).
This pumpkin mac and cheese is the perfect meal to curl up with a cold autumn day and it’s ready in 15 minutes or less. Pair it with your favourite pasta whether that’s classic durum wheat, quinoa pasta, brown rice pasta or whatever other type you enjoy.
You will need:
Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- 454 gram pack of macaroni
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 can coconut milk (400ml)
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (vegan option: use dairy-free cheese)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot over medium-low heat, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add diced onion and garlic and cook until translucent, 3-5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin purée, coconut milk and nutmeg. Mix and simmer for a 5-10 minutes.
- Add grated cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook macaroni according to the directions on the package. Drain and pour into pot of pumpkin mac and cheese sauce. Enjoy!