One of my favourite things about fall is all the different types of squash that are out there. Among my favourites are delicata squash, spaghetti squash and butternut squash!
Is there anything more comforting than a warm bowl of soup on a chilly winter day? Nope! Throw in a hot chocolate and some Netflix and you’ve got the perfect cozy day!
I enjoyed this silky butternut squash and apple soup alongside maple dijon pecan crusted salmon this weekend while I was watching the Gilmore Girls revival! Firstly, if you don’t watch Gilmore Girls, what are you waiting for? It’s such a funny, witty show about family, friendship and relationships! Lorelai makes me crack up. I find myself actually laughing out loud at her jokes! Seriously, go watch it!
Back to soup! This roasted butternut squash soup is quick to make. You can also pre-roast the butternut squash the day before so you can make the soup in under 20 minutes the next day. Either way, I believe you will love this creamy soup! The apple adds such nice sweet and crisp flavour.
Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup (serves 4)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced (I’m using empire apples)
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup cream (dairy-free option: 1 can of coconut cream)
- salt to taste
- Peel and chop butternut squash. Toss in a little oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast at 350F degrees for 20-30 minutes or until tender.
- In a pot over medium heat, add 1-2 tbsp avocado oil and caramelize the diced onion for 5-7 minutes.
- Add apples, roasted butternut squash and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and let simmer 10-12 minutes or until apples are tender. Add cream and salt to taste. Pulse with a hand blender (or let it cool and pour it in your regular blender). Enjoy! Store in the fridge for 5-6 days or freeze for longer.