Pasta. One of the world’s greatest foods! Seriously though, can you imagine your life without pasta? I mostly certainly can’t. Although I’m not downing fettucine alfredo and vodka penne on the daily, I do enjoy those decadent dishes once in a while. However, pasta seems to get such a bad rep for being unhealthy and it doesn’t have to!
It’s all about eating everything in moderation in my opinion. However, if you have an intolerance, there are so many great alternatives out there like brown rice pasta, quinoa pasta, and plenty more.
One of my favorite store-bought pastas is brown rice pasta. It does take a little longer to cook but hey, it gives you extra time to prepare the dressing and mixings! I dressed my Sicilian pasta salad with extra virgin olive oil and spices but you can definitely use pesto as well. Then it would be a Sicilian pasta salad with a Genoese twist (pesto originated in northern Italy Genoa).
This pasta salad can be enjoyed anytime. Have leftovers? Pop it in a tupperware and take it with you on the go! I’m so excited for summer to bring this salad to picnics!
Sicilian pasta salad
- 2 cups brown rice fusilli pasta (or pasta of choice)
- 1 cup fennel, chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 large bunch chopped parsley (about 1/4 cup), diced
- 1-2 zucchini, grilled and cut in half-moons
- 2 tbsp capers, chopped
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- A pinch of chili flakes
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook the brown rice pasta (or pasta of choice) as directed on the package.
- Prep mixings: Chop the fennel, parsley, capers and sundried tomatoes. Dice the red onion. Chop the zucchini in half-moons and grill.
- Prep dressing: In a glass jar, combine the extra virgin olive oil, oregano, salt, pepper and desired amount of chili flakes. Seal jar and shake.
- Once the pasta has cooked, strain and pour into a bowl. Add mixings and pour in the dressing. Mix to incorporate. Enjoy!