As much as I looooove sweet breakfast items like oatmeal, pancakes and waffles, savoury breakfasts hold a special plate in my heart. Lately, I’ve been alternative between sweet and savoury on the daily.
I especially love savoury breakfasts since it means I eat loads of veggies for breakfast and I simply adore having colourful veggie-packed plates! These sweet potato and beet latkes are my new breakfast addiction. They’re easy to make and add such a pretty color to your plate. You need these sweet potato and beet latkes on your brunch menu!
You can totally use regular potatoes too (I love yukon gold) but I am just obsessed with sweet potatoes. I love the bright orange color and their sweet flavour. I find the flavour pairs deliciously with the earthiness of the beets. If you love them as much as I do, you need to make my sweet potato tater tots and sweet potato waffles.
Sweet Potato and Beet Latkes (makes 10 medium latkes)
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 1 cup beets, peeled and grated
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs (gluten-free option: almond flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine grated sweet potato and beets with onion, eggs, breadcrumbs and salt in a bowl. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, take a spoonful of the mixture and squeeze it in your hands to remove excess liquid. Flatten it to form into a pancake.
- Cook latkes in a greased pan or cast-iron pan. Enjoy!