It’s meatless Monday! I love to have meatless days more than just on Monday but given the occasion, I’m sharing my favorite quesadilla recipe! This quesadilla is a big dilla (see what I did there). It’s soft and chewy inside and crunchy and golden on the outside – the perfect components to a quesadilla!
You can really throw anything into a quesadilla. I love to clean up my fridge and come up with new concoctions. After all, what could be better than veggies smothered in melted cheese in between two tortillas? Cheese brings everything and anything to the next level if you ask me. Maybe I’m a little biased since I’m Italian and fun fact, my family names rhymes with mozzarella.. I’ll leave it to you to guess my family name!
Okay, let’s get stuffing this quesadilla! I cooked mine in a regular pan with a little butter since it makes the quesadilla golden and crispy. Butter is such a beautiful thing. I know a lot of people are scared of butter and it’s kind of seen as a taboo ingredient to some, but BUTTER IS BEAUTIFUL! I believe in balance. Am I eating butter everyday 3 times a day? Heck no but you best believe that I’m not depriving myself of a fresh pistachio croissant at a local bakery. Basically, what I’m trying o say is that life is too short not to eat butter. *drops mic*
Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas
(Makes 7-10 quesadillas depending on how much filling is used for each)
- 2 sweet potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 can black beans
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- cheese of choice (I grated mozzarella)
- corn tortillas (or any other tortillas you prefer)
- Peel and boil the sweet potatoes. Once boiled, place them in a large bowl and mash.
- Add the black beans, cilantro, cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Mix to incorporate all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Grease a pan (I used butter) and place one corn tortilla down. Sprinkle with shredded cheese of choice and add some of the sweet potato black bean mixture (don’t add too much or it will come out of the quesadilla when you press the other tortilla on top). Sprinkle with cheese again and place another tortilla on too. Cook until warm and golden.
- Flip the quesadilla and cook once again until golden. Enjoy!