Hummus has got to be one of my favorite staple foods! You can eat it anytime of day with almost anything. It’s seriously the best. But wait, sweet potatoes are tied in that spot too! Between loaded sweet potatoes for breakfast, sweet potato bean burgers for lunch and sweet potato fries for dinner, you can eat sweet potatoes anytime of day as well.
So, what happens when I merge two of my all-time favourite foods together: sweet potato hummus! Yup, you read that right. Sweet. Potato. Hummus. I believe that this hummus is revolutionary (ok Sarah, calm down) because it’s just so good. Just when you thought hummus couldn’t get anymore addicting, it did!
You seriously NEED to make this hummus! It’s healthy, quick and easy! You still get the same protein content from the chickpeas but now with the added beta carotene and vitamins from sweet potatoes so it’s an even bigger win nutrient wise.
Buckle your seat belts and let’s get cooking! Okay.. now unbuckle your seat belts cause you need to go get your food processor! (But buckling our seat belts sounded so cool and dramatic right?).
Sweet Potato Hummus:
– 1 19 oz can chickpeas, rinsed
– 1 medium sweet potato, baked
– juice of 1 lemon
– 3 heaping tbsp tahini
– 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 3 tbsp water
– salt to taste
1. Cook the sweet potato: Wrap your sweet potato with aluminum foil and prick a few holes. Bake until tender. Once cooked, peal the potato and roughly chop.
2. In a food processor, add the chickpeas and pulse a few times until they begin to break down.
3. Add the sweet potato, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, water and salt, and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
Hummus is a great food item to always have on hand as a snack. Buying it at the store may be convenient but it’s super easy to make at home! I hope you give this recipe a try!
What’s your favorite hummus variation?