Creamy sweet potato soup is the perfect meal on a cold winter’s day!
We’re nearing the end of January and I am officially ready for summer.. seriously someone get me out of cooooold Canada. I low-key would love to move to an island and just work tending to coconut trees. Anyone else?
It’s been so cold here in Montreal this year that I haven’t even done any of my favorite winter activities like cross-country skiing, skating and sledding. Is it too cold or am I a wimp to the cold? I say the former, but -30 to -40 celsius is no joke.
So instead of being outdoors this winter, I’ve preferred to cozy up with hot chocolate, a warm chai tea, chicken noodle soup or this creamy sweet potato soup. Sweet potatoes are my favorite vegetable so I could probably drink this soup like it was water. This soup is creamy, easy to make and loaded with beta-carotene.
You will need:
onion + garlic
salt + pepper
coconut milk (optional)
Sweet Potato Soup
- 3 cups sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- fresh thyme
- salt + pepper
- 1 can coconut milk (optional)
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a pot over medium-low heat and sauté onion and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add carrot and celery and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped sweet potatoes, vegetable stock and thyme. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30-50 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Season.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender or on the low setting of a blender. Add coconut cream (optional). Enjoy!