Tiramisu just got a makeover… a breakfast makeover!
Tiramisu is one of my favorite Italian desserts and I love making it with my mom for birthdays and holidays. Tiramisu literally means “pull me up” and boy will you want to pull these tiramisu pancakes up to your mouth! If you didn’t know pancakes are probably my favorite breakfast food EVER. I just love how you can make any flavour and add any mixings you love. Chocolate chip pancakes, chocolate pancakes, matcha pancakes, lemon ricotta pancakes, blueberry pancakes, birthday cake pancakes… the possibilities are endless when it come to pancakes.
My mouth is seriously watering as I type this post and stare at this stack! Lately I’ve been dreaming of Italy so much – I need to book a trip stat. I have never been, although I feel like I’ll never want to leave once I visit. I can’t wait to sink my teeth into a tiramisu made in the motherland. When I do visit, I would absolutely love to ride a vespa. Plus, it needs to have a basket somewhere on the vespa so I can pick up all the fresh pastries, bread and basically everything! Anyone want to come on a foodie trip to Italy with me? I’m ready to pack my bags tomorrow.
Back to the main attraction: these tiramisu pancakes are a must! The pancake itself tastes like a death by chocolate cake and is super duper fluffy and the expresso cream is a coffee lover meets whip cream enthusiast dream. I myself actually hate coffee and drinking it gives me the worst stomach ache (weird, I know) but for some reason I could eat tiramisu (laden with espresso) by the truck-load with no problem whatsoever – hashtag winning.
Get in the kitchen, it’s time for pancakes!
You will need:
brown rice flour
baking powder + baking soda
Tips and tricks:
- Making coconut cream: Canned coconut milk absolutely needs to be refrigerated in order to whip it. Store it in the fridge overnight and it’ll be ready to use the next morning.
- Coconut water from the can? When you scoop out the solid coconut cream from the can, you will be left with liquid, that’s coconut water. Don’t throw it away! Save it to use in a smoothie.
- A secret to fluffy pancakes: Don’t over-mix. Simply incorporate all the ingredients.
- Boozy whipped cream? If you’re feeling wild, add a splash of your favorite liquor in the espresso cream. Marsala wine or rum are often used.
Tiramisu Pancakes (makes 8-10 pancakes)
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour (I have not tested other flours)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 3-4 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 2 eggs
- 1 can coconut milk (refrigerated overnight)
- 2 tbsp espresso powder
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- In a bowl, combine brown rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, cacao powder, and coconut sugar. Mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk and eggs.
- Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients and whisk. Pro tip: If you want fluffy pancakes, do not over-mix.
- Cook pancakes on a greased griddle or cast-iron pan.
- Make espresso cream: Refrigerate canned coconut milk overnight. Scoop coconut solids in a bowl (not coconut water
- ) along with the espresso powder and icing sugar. Whip with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Serve chocolate pancakes topped or layered with espresso cream. Enjoy!