This vegetable fried rice is quick and easy to make and vegetarian-friendly!
I love rice and my top 3 definitely include jasmine, basmati and brown rice. I personally find rice to be such a versatile grain that compliments dishes beautifully and keeps me satisfied.
Vegetable fried rice is one of my favorite vegetarian side dishes. I love enjoying it with honey garlic ribs or an asian-inspired salmon. Oh boy, don’t get me started on ribs. I could probably eat ribs for breakfast (kidding.. but maybe not). Although not a dish I’ll eat on the reg, it satisfies my foodie soul and is ultimate pleasure in my book. My mom makes the most delicious, fall off the bone ribs and yes, they’re finger licking good.
This dish is so easy to make and you can even use leftover rice that’s just hanging out in the fridge. Sometimes, things just pile up in the fridge and you can’t decide what to do with them until it’s too late. We’re all guilty of it but I try my best to avoid food waste as much as possible. One way to do so is to categorize your fridge in a way that you can easy see everything. I like using glass containers, Mason jars and clear tupperware.
I’ve been using my Victoria Cookware wok to make veggie fried rice and so many other stir fry dishes. It’s a great quality cast iron wok which makes for even heat distribution. I know that cast iron cookware can be a little intimidating but there are some great useful tips on how to use and care for your cast iron here.
PLUS, you get a great arm workout in when you use cast iron. It’s heavy cookware but it’s built to last – and give you extra muscle (lol).
You will need:
white onion + green onion
Vegetable Fried Rice (makes 4 servings)
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup peas
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 tbsp soy
- 3 eggs
- 2 green onions
- Place 1 1/2 cups of brown rice in a small pot with 2 cups of water on high heat. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool in a bowl. Alternatively, use leftover cooked rice.
- In a small pan, cook beaten eggs. Set aside.
- In a wok drizzled with a little oil, sauté onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes. Add carrots and peas and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add cooked brown rice to the wok, pour soy sauce in and mix.
- Add cooked scrambled egg, break up into pieces and mix.
- Serve with chopped green onions and sriracha. Enjoy!