As we spring into fall, I’m holding onto summer with these fresh spring rolls loaded with herbs from my garden. Spring rolls are such an easy appetizer or side dish that can be prepared in minutes.
Rice paper is so incredibly versatile. You can find it at most health food stores or in the Asian specialty food section at the grocery store. You can pretty much stuff your spring rolls with whatever your heart desires but my favorite are with a combination of veggies, herbs and noodles. I also recently tried them with shrimp and they were phenomenal!
This post is not so much a recipe as it is a method. Although I’m providing a base of ingredients that I like to use, you may swap or substitute according to your favorite ingredients. Since rice paper is versatile, once you know how to fill it and wrap it, the world is your oyster and you can customize it according to your mood and preference.
You will need:
herbs of choice
Vegetarian Spring Rolls:
- rice paper
- cooked rice noodles
- julienned carrots (and any other veggies of choice)
- your favorite herbs (I love using thai basil or cilantro)
- optional: If not making them vegetarian, add shrimp or protein of choice
Peanut dipping sauce:
- 4 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup water
1.Prepare your station: Get a cutting board with a dish towel on top ready. Fill a shallow dish with warm water – this water will be used to dip the rice paper in order to make them pliable.
2. Prepare rice paper: Take a rice paper sheet and dip it in the warm water until it becomes pliable and translucent.
3. Fill the rice paper: Place your fillings in the middle of the rice paper sheet.
4. Fold: Fold the right side of the rice paper inward. Then, fold the top and bottom of the rice paper inward also. Finally, roll to seal the left side of the rice paper.
5. Make peanut dipping sauce: In a bowl, combine peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, coconut sugar, lime juice and water. Mix to combine. Serve spring rolls with peanut sauce and enjoy!