Another week, another Vegan Feast Friday over here on the blog! Today, we’re talking spring rolls made with rice paper.
First off, I LOVE rice! Jasmine rice, Basmati rice, brown rice, rice noodles, brown rice flour… I’m in love with making brown rice flour pancakes. They come so fluffy and they’re packed with fiber. I have a recipe on the blog here.
Rice paper is so incredibly versatile. You can find it at most health food stores or in the Asian specialty food section at the grocery store. You can pretty much stuff your spring rolls with whatever your heart desires but my favorite are with a combination of veggies, tempeh and noodles!
This post is not so much a recipe as it is a method. I’m providing a base of ingredients that I like to use. Since rice paper is versatile, once you know how to fill it and wrap it, the world is your oyster and you can customize it according to your mood and preference. Today I’m dipping my spring rolls in the Bouddha sauce by Aux Vivres. Aux Vivres is a local vegan restaurant in Montreal. They have a grocery counter at their restaurant where you can pick up their delicious meals, desserts, sauces and of course their Noble Bean tempeh. Montreal locals, you need to pass by! You can also find Noble Bean tempeh at your local IGA and Metro.
Veggie-packed Spring Rolls:
- rice paper
- rice noodles, cooked
- Noble Bean tempeh (try my balsamic-marinated tempeh)
- julienned carrots
- orange bell peppers
1.Prepare your station: Get a cutting board with a dish towel on top ready. Fill a shallow dish with warm water – this water will be used to dip the rice paper in order to make them pliable.
2. Prepare rice paper: Take a rice paper sheet and dip it in the warm water until it becomes pliable and translucent.
3. Fill the rice paper: Place your fillings of choice in the middle of the rice paper sheet.
4. Fold right: Fold over the right side of the rice paper.
5. Fold left: Fold the top and bottom of the rice paper.
6. Roll: Roll the rice paper to the left or you can rotate your cutting board to make it easier by simply rolling upward.
7. Serve with Aux Vivres’s Bouddha sauce and enjoy!
You need to make spring rolls! They’re an easy meal to make and great for a hot summer day! I would love to see your recreations – tag me on Instagram @TheNutritiousPrincess!